Friday, December 4, 2009

3 Tools for Backing Up Your Data


Computers die.  Either from old age, misuse, or some nasty virus.  They just croak and it’s never fun.  I know, I’ve been there.  Had my system all full of cool tools, massive quantities of photos, documents I’ve written, songs I’ve collected – all gone.  Poof!!!   In my experience I’ve found that all computers die eventually.  That’s why it is critically important that you backup your systems.  Here I offer three strategies of making sure your stuff remains even if your system croaks.
1.  Use an external drive (or network drive).  These are relatively cheap for tons of storage.  You can spend around $150.00 and get half a terabyte of storage.  Check out the Maxtor One Touch – it even has software that will help you backup your data with the touch of a button.
2.  Use an online service.  Mozy Remote Desktop Backup service provides a lot of storage for $3.95 plus $.50 per Gigabyte per month.  They’ve had great reviews and a very easy to use interface.
3.  Use your domain provider.  I am amazed at how cheap online domain registration and storage costs now days.  I spend $3.95 per month  to maintainpaulfdixon.com along with unlimited email addresses, unlimited storage, and unlimited bandwidth at justhost.com.  The service provides some very easy to install click installations of online photo galleries, popular blogging tools (like this wordpress blog), ftp and other file storage alternatives.  It is simple to setup and very easy to maintain if you keep on top of it.
The bottom line is =  you have to put some out some effort but it is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment